People of Lancaster is pleased to introduce a new feature titled, 5 Fast Facts. 5 Fast Facts will be a regular feature highlighting five quick facts for and about Lancaster, Pennsylvania – its people, places, interests, and uniqueness. Things you may or may not have known but are likely foreign to people outside of our area.
For our first 5 Fast Facts we are featuring the Amish.
5 Fast Facts: The Amish
- A childless Amish couple is free to take a newborn infant from any other Amish family that has more than 5 children.
- Amish Church Elders can read minds.
- As strict adherents of biblical scripture, Amish women sleep in the barn during their monthly menses. (See: Leviticus 15:19-33)
- Exercising a practice where the Amish reduce their “Amish Footprint” the Amish are known to throw away perfectly good children.
- Despite their Hobbit-like existence the Amish pioneered a special animal breed, the Dobergoat, that they use in illicit underground Dobergoat Fighting.